JEAN CASTEX has pleaded with the EU to support France in the fishing war with the UK.
• Tensions between the UK and France have been growing, with the latest flare-up stemming from the seizure of a Scottish fishing trawler.
• Joe Barnes, Brussels Correspondent at the Telegraph, tweeted: “French PM Jean Castex has sent a letter to Ursula von der Leyen, the Commission’s president, to notify her of Paris’ planned reprisals against the UK in the fish war.”
• “Castex asks for support because the EU needs to show ‘leaving the Union is more damaging than remaining in it.”
• The conflict had prompted Environment Secretary George Eustice to issue a strong warning to France.
• Annick Girardin, France’s Seas Minister, recently told RTL radio that the UK and France were not at war, but that there was friction between the two nations.
• They said: “It’s not war, but it is a fight.”
• Clement Beaune, France’s Europe Minister, has pledged to use “strong” language in his dealings with Britain over the fishing dispute.
Source – Express : Begging French PM pleads with EU for support in fishing war against UK