PC Welsh government are considering the removal of monuments of Winston Churchill, Lord Nelson and Mahatma Gandhi.
We've published a report into monuments, streets and places in Wales that commemorate figures who were complicit in the slave trade.— Welsh Government (@WelshGovernment) November 26, 2020
Yesterday, @fmwales had the opportunity to discuss the findings with the audit leader, Gaynor Legall.
Full report here ⬇️https://t.co/sgffnsYe7b pic.twitter.com/n3Apc5LLzY
The Welsh government launched this report to look at historical figures that they deemed had a hand in slavery and Colonialism. The Welsh government stated they are doing this to tackle racism and imperialism.
This reports found Churchill was “widely hated in South Wales mining communities for his actions as Home Secretary during the Tonypandy riots”. To remedy the concerns of the report, the Welsh government are considering rehoming the monuments in a museum.
With Gandhi, the report found “racism against Black South Africans”.
In response to this attack on historical figures, Commons Leader Jacob Rees-Mogg said it was “Britain-hating nonsense”.
Jacob said: “an avalanche of miserable Britain-hating nonsense filling the airwaves in recent months about our history and our culture”.
- SHOCKING – Jeremy Vine asks a deliberate racially loaded question about Prince Philips Funeral.
- Legal threat by EU halted before Lord Frost heads to Brussels for discussions on Northern Ireland Protocol.
- Lefty Owen Jones slams Starmer writing he’ll never be Prime Minister.
- Boris has days left to respond to EU’s Court action letter over the Northern Ireland Protocol
- Pro EU campaigner, Femi, blames Brexit, Boris Johnson and Brexiteers for the current clashes in Northern Ireland