PC Welsh government are considering the removal of monuments of Winston Churchill, Lord Nelson and Mahatma Gandhi.
We've published a report into monuments, streets and places in Wales that commemorate figures who were complicit in the slave trade.— Welsh Government (@WelshGovernment) November 26, 2020
Yesterday, @fmwales had the opportunity to discuss the findings with the audit leader, Gaynor Legall.
Full report here ⬇️https://t.co/sgffnsYe7b pic.twitter.com/n3Apc5LLzY
The Welsh government launched this report to look at historical figures that they deemed had a hand in slavery and Colonialism. The Welsh government stated they are doing this to tackle racism and imperialism.
This reports found Churchill was “widely hated in South Wales mining communities for his actions as Home Secretary during the Tonypandy riots”. To remedy the concerns of the report, the Welsh government are considering rehoming the monuments in a museum.
With Gandhi, the report found “racism against Black South Africans”.
In response to this attack on historical figures, Commons Leader Jacob Rees-Mogg said it was “Britain-hating nonsense”.
Jacob said: “an avalanche of miserable Britain-hating nonsense filling the airwaves in recent months about our history and our culture”.
- DONALD IS NO PUSH OVER – EU said to have held out for a new US administration before pushing for a trade deal.
- UNBELIEVABLE – Tony Blair openly preaches his vision of Britain returning to the EU.
- The penny drops for EU Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier after saying the EU is fundamentally weaker now Britain has exited the bloc.
- Guy Verhofstadt insinuates that she would have supported staying in the EU Single Market if Thatcher were here today.
- Chief Minister of Gibraltar shuts down the Spanish government – no Frontex (‘EU official) will be able to operate in Gibraltar without the authorisation granted by an act of Parliament in Gibraltar.”