The UK government are hoping Merkel steps in to persuade Macron to back down from his hardline stance on fisheries. The hold back on negotiations has been down to Macrons refusal to accept Britain as an independent coastal country that will be taking back control of its waters come the 1st of January 2021.
Macron has promised the impossible to his supporters. That impossible stance will have two outcomes, collapse Brexit negotiations altogether or give way to get a deal over the line. Come on the 1st of January 2021, Britain will be working from an annual quota system under something called “zonal attachment”. This new system will see quotas given to Fishermen explicitly telling them they can only catch a specific quota from certain zones. This is to maintain future fishing stocks.Macrons refusal to back down has seen another halt to negotiations on fishing according to reports from negotiation sources, which said: negotiations on fisheries has “not moved at all”.
In the Telegraph over the weekend a white hall source said: “We are relatively optimistic, but that doesn’t mean it won’t end in tears.
“Fisheries is the biggest thing. We are hoping Merkel can unlock Macron on fisheries.”
- MP lambasts Met Police after arresting a 76 yrs old lady, bundling her into the back of a van.
- Biden’s national security adviser, describes Britain leaving the EU as “the dog that caught the car and then the car goes into reverse and runs over the dog – it’s a total mess”.
- MEP, states EU need to role back its red lines on fisheries, if its to secure a trade deal with Britain.
- Gove responds angrily to Sturgeon, after secret meetings with EU undermine trade negotiations.
- Lord Sumption takes aim at the political lockdown elite saying they are “control freaks”.