This morning on Sky News, Sophy Ridge questioned how serious Boris was on his threat of walking away on an Australian style Deal after negotiations between the two sides started up again last week.
Brussels was in meltdown when Boris spoke about leaving negotiations, saying it “was over” and that the UK was heading for an Australian style agreement. Yet in a turn of events, Britain was the first to come back to the table by inviting Barnier back to London to resume talks.
Sophy Ridge said to Brandon Lewis: “It’s amazing isn’t it?
“The Government made a big deal of calling off the talks, saying it was all over.
“And now the talks are magically back on, they have magically restarted, and you’re saying you are hopeful you will get a deal.”
Sophy then stuck the media boot in saying: “You must be really flabbergasted by this surprising turn of events.”
To these comments, Mr Lewis returned fire saying: “These are negotiations. We are very clear; we will only do a deal if it’s right, and good and positive for the UK.
“It’s good that Barnier has come back to the table because the EU does need to move. We are very clear about that.”
“I am hopeful we will get a deal, but I think as a country we will be ready for whatever happens, whether that is a Canada-style or Australia-style deal.
“We want to get a deal, so we continue to trade with our friends and partners in the EU. It has to be good for our partners, but it has to be right and appropriate for a sovereign country.”
In a snub to Boris Johnson’s threat of walking away, French minister Clément Beaune said: “If it were so easy and so comfortable, they would have already left without a deal.”
Did Boris do the right thing when he restarted talks with Brussels after saying we were going to leave on an Australian style agreement?
- MP lambasts Met Police after arresting a 76 yrs old lady, bundling her into the back of a van.
- Biden’s national security adviser, describes Britain leaving the EU as “the dog that caught the car and then the car goes into reverse and runs over the dog – it’s a total mess”.
- MEP, states EU need to role back its red lines on fisheries, if its to secure a trade deal with Britain.
- Gove responds angrily to Sturgeon, after secret meetings with EU undermine trade negotiations.
- Lord Sumption takes aim at the political lockdown elite saying they are “control freaks”.