BREAKING BRITANNIA NEWS
Von der Leyen stated she was surprised British Prime Minister Boris Johnson raised the possibility that Britain would take Australia-style trade arrangements if his government can not reach a detailed agreement.
“Australia is a strong and like-minded associate but the European Union does not have a trade deal with Australia,” said von der Leyen, the head of the bloc’s powerful executive arm. “We’re currently trading on World Trade Organisation terms.” Von der Leyen added:”If this is the British option, we’re fine with that without any question.
But in fact, we just are in the moment where we are agreeing with Australia that we must end this situation and we operate in a trade deal together.” Britain left the EU on January 31 – the first country ever to do so – but it is continuing to follow EU regulations until the end of the year.
During the transition period, EU leaders and the British government will try to negotiate agreements and a trade deal covering areas. Britain wants the trade agreement exclude almost all tariffs and to cover goods and services. However, Johnson has been adamant that the UK will not keep following all the EU’s regulations.
To strike deals with other countries, Johnson wants the flexibility to subscribe to varying criteria for areas such as state aid, competition or the environment. Von derLeyen insisted that the 27-member EU is offering Britain”something we’ve never offered before to anyone else” on the condition that the former EU country guarantees fair competition and protections for employees and the environment.
TODAYS BREAKING NEWS
- UK’s fishing waters will NOT be used as bargaining chip – Gove confirms: OUR waters on OUR terms!UK Government must not use access to UK fishing waters as a bargaining chip in upcoming trade negotiations with the EU, a Tory MP has urged. Steve Double MP asked … Read more
- Boris Johnson // NO WAY! To any EU level playing field demands.The EU keeps making the point that we in the UK can not have a Canada style trade deal even though they put that promise down in the Nonbinding Political … Read more
- French demand access into U.K. fishing waters so they can pile in with their factory ships and vacuum up our fish…Last night I was reading an article where a solid statement was made… here’s what was said… Statement above is from the Express news paper… After reading this statement I … Read more
- ‘Do as I say, not as I do’ as the EU pull away from their own Political Agreement whilst demanding U.K. adhere to it.Last night the BBC shone light on the fact that the EU had already pulled back on the political agreement that was attached as a separate Non legally binding agreement … Read more
- Boris offers the EU a hand of friendship before he pulls the plug in June…Today Boris has clearly stated the UK's intention to leave with out a deal if no deal is insight by June. This comes as the EU is in a mess … Read more