BREAKING BRITANNIA NEWS
The MP says her constituents are regard it as a”betrayal” if British fishing grounds were forfeited during what are expected to be tough discussions with Brussels.
Other MPs echoed the comments from the Labour MP for Lancaster and Fleetwood including Tory representatives, with fishing constituencies.
During the debate at Westminster Hall, Ms Smith said that even though the fishing industry had been dramatically reduced in Fleetwood, there were still connections to fishing in town and a solid fish processing industry which was still a major employer.
She said communities had done so under the banner of taking back control of British waters and they didn’t need that control to be recovered for those waters to be then ceded within an EU trade negotiation.
She said:”If that fear is realised I cannot over-exaggerate the feeling of betrayal which will be felt, not just in Fleetwood but around the country.
“I have two main asks of the Fishing Bill.
“Firstly, it has to be a requirement that fish captured under UK quotas are landed in britain, because for every one job there is at sea, it supports ten jobs on shore and that’s a significant part of regeneration in coastal communities.
“And that fish caught on UK quotas be redistributed away from the large multinationals, because two thirds of employment in fishing is generated by the under 10 metre boats.”
At its peak, the Fleetwood fishing industry employed 9,000 people in the town but it was decimated after the closing Cod War in the 1970s, which resulted in British sea trawlers being barred from fishing grounds off Iceland.
The deep sea trawler left Fleetwood in 1982 and the town has struggled to recover.
Responding, Fisheries Minister George Eustice said:”We are very clear that we want to be… like Norway.
“We want to be an independent coastal state in charge of the resources in our oceans, having favorable yearly discussions with our neighbors, using a mutual exchange of accessibility and an annual discussion on the total allowable catch and who should have what share of the capture species .”
TODAYS BREAKING NEWS
- Boris Johnson’s sister says alcohol should be banned till a vaccine is found.Here we have left winger, Rachel Johnson who wants to push the boundaries once again and this time it’s to ban all alcohol till a vaccine is available. Rachel Johnson…
- Nigel Farage – “At no point has that pipsqueak Hancock admitted he’s got anything wrong.”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBwTnzl_w1I After further lockdown measures are set to come into place in the next few days, Nigel Farage is rallying people to call on their MP to say no to…
- Labours David Lammy – “The conservatives have abandoned the rule of law” as the Internal Market Bill returns to Parliament this week.https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=SwPyXWLl2oYDavid Lammy has accused Boris Johnson of playing right out of a Donald Trump playbook after the United Kingdom pushes the Internal Market Bill through Parliament as a shield of…
- Another attempted power grab by the EU, this time they want control over the Channel Tunnel.https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=LPGr_TfBHw8It’s come to light that the EU wants control over the Channel Tunnel, this demand was injected into the negotiations in August. With this demand comes with extra overreach once…
- Nigel Farage goes after Matt Hancock – Say No to another lockdown – New video.Nigel Farage goes after Matt Hancock and the government over their £10,000 fine for leaving your front door, even if you haven’t been tested for Covid 19. Next week Boris…