BREAKING BRITANNIA NEWS
Such a decision would be a blow in the aftermath of the UK’s decision to leave the trade bloc.
Talks over a treaty over the past years remain deadlocked over fears that the nation has ceded too much to Brussels.
Recommending its citizens vote down rejecting Schengen, the Swiss government said in a statement:”That would have debilitating consequences, primarily for security and asylum issues but also for border traffic and freedom to travel.”
The arrangement covers trade barriers, air traffic, road traffic, agriculture, free movement, procurement and science.
Switzerland is set to hold a vote on Schengen, the area comprising 26 European countries which have abolished all passport and all other kinds of border control. While an EU initiative, the Schengen area includes Norway, Iceland, Switzerland and Lichtenstein, none of which are member countries. The May 17 vote will observe residents vote on whether they want to regain control of their boundaries.
According to Swiss authorities, Schengen was responsible for 55,000 immigrants in the country last year.
Both of the country and the fear that the deal impinges of Swiss sovereignty.
In total there were 2.1 million immigrants living in Switzerland in 2019.
The country is not a member state with the bloc but it is associated through a series of treaties with Brussels.
But the government argue the vote – dubbed their’Brexit moment’ by press – could have consequences not only for the country’s safety but also for border traffic and freedom of travel.
According to the preamble of the EU decision ratifying the agreements:”The seven agreements are intimately linked to one another by the requirement that they are to come into force at the same time and they are to cease to apply at the exact same time, six months following the receipt of a non-renewal or denunciation notice concerning any of them.”
A bilateral agreement covers the Schengen area.
The referendum will appear at abolishing free movement of EU citizens.
The EU-Swiss relationship is currently regulated by 120 bilateral economic accords, which are put to erode over time if they are not updated.
If the results of the referendum is to leave the Schengen area that is common, Switzerland will take control of their borders back at the price of abrogating the free-movement pact.
EU citizens living in the country are from Portugal, and Italy, Germany, France.
TODAYS BREAKING NEWS
- UNBELIEVABLE – Illegal Migrant Smuggling ring infiltrated, £7000 per person, Police hold you for 24 hrs then place you in a hotel.This video is a shocker, not only do we see how much this smuggling ring charges per head to get into Britain illegally, but we also find out how the…
- Macron threatens to pull the plug on any trade deal with the UK, if it doesn’t meet his demands on fisheries.With the French at the forefront of EU’s stance on fisheries, it’s been reported today that French President Macron could “Scupper an agreement” if he thinks the deal isn’t in…
- EXCLUSIVE FOOTAGE – Priti Patel visits Dover.As the Home Secretary comes under fire over her handling of the migrant crisis thats hit the southern shores of Britain, Priti Patel visited Dover today. This was to see…
- British Fisherman, Paul Lines states Britains fishing industry “could be the best industry in the world if it is done properly.”In an interview with the Express newspaper, a British fisherman, Paul Lines, chairman of Lowestoft Fish Market Alliance said: “They shouldn’t walk away, what they should do is add a…
- Conservative Care Minister, Helen Whately said the crisis situation in the English Channel is “unacceptable”.This morning the governments Care Minister, Helen Whately, made a comment on the situation in the English Channel which she labelled as an “unacceptable situation. Helen said: “We do have…