BREAKING BRITANNIA NEWS
Such a decision would be a blow in the aftermath of the UK’s decision to leave the trade bloc.
Talks over a treaty over the past years remain deadlocked over fears that the nation has ceded too much to Brussels.
Recommending its citizens vote down rejecting Schengen, the Swiss government said in a statement:”That would have debilitating consequences, primarily for security and asylum issues but also for border traffic and freedom to travel.”
The arrangement covers trade barriers, air traffic, road traffic, agriculture, free movement, procurement and science.
Switzerland is set to hold a vote on Schengen, the area comprising 26 European countries which have abolished all passport and all other kinds of border control. While an EU initiative, the Schengen area includes Norway, Iceland, Switzerland and Lichtenstein, none of which are member countries. The May 17 vote will observe residents vote on whether they want to regain control of their boundaries.
According to Swiss authorities, Schengen was responsible for 55,000 immigrants in the country last year.
Both of the country and the fear that the deal impinges of Swiss sovereignty.
In total there were 2.1 million immigrants living in Switzerland in 2019.
The country is not a member state with the bloc but it is associated through a series of treaties with Brussels.
But the government argue the vote – dubbed their’Brexit moment’ by press – could have consequences not only for the country’s safety but also for border traffic and freedom of travel.
According to the preamble of the EU decision ratifying the agreements:”The seven agreements are intimately linked to one another by the requirement that they are to come into force at the same time and they are to cease to apply at the exact same time, six months following the receipt of a non-renewal or denunciation notice concerning any of them.”
A bilateral agreement covers the Schengen area.
The referendum will appear at abolishing free movement of EU citizens.
The EU-Swiss relationship is currently regulated by 120 bilateral economic accords, which are put to erode over time if they are not updated.
If the results of the referendum is to leave the Schengen area that is common, Switzerland will take control of their borders back at the price of abrogating the free-movement pact.
EU citizens living in the country are from Portugal, and Italy, Germany, France.
TODAYS BREAKING NEWS
- UK’s fishing waters will NOT be used as bargaining chip – Gove confirms: OUR waters on OUR terms!UK Government must not use access to UK fishing waters as a bargaining chip in upcoming trade negotiations with the EU, a Tory MP has urged. Steve Double MP asked … Read more
- Boris Johnson // NO WAY! To any EU level playing field demands.The EU keeps making the point that we in the UK can not have a Canada style trade deal even though they put that promise down in the Nonbinding Political … Read more
- French demand access into U.K. fishing waters so they can pile in with their factory ships and vacuum up our fish…Last night I was reading an article where a solid statement was made… here’s what was said… Statement above is from the Express news paper… After reading this statement I … Read more
- ‘Do as I say, not as I do’ as the EU pull away from their own Political Agreement whilst demanding U.K. adhere to it.Last night the BBC shone light on the fact that the EU had already pulled back on the political agreement that was attached as a separate Non legally binding agreement … Read more
- Boris offers the EU a hand of friendship before he pulls the plug in June…Today Boris has clearly stated the UK's intention to leave with out a deal if no deal is insight by June. This comes as the EU is in a mess … Read more