BREAKING BRITANNIA NEWS
Such a decision would be a blow in the aftermath of the UK’s decision to leave the trade bloc.
Talks over a treaty over the past years remain deadlocked over fears that the nation has ceded too much to Brussels.
Recommending its citizens vote down rejecting Schengen, the Swiss government said in a statement:”That would have debilitating consequences, primarily for security and asylum issues but also for border traffic and freedom to travel.”
The arrangement covers trade barriers, air traffic, road traffic, agriculture, free movement, procurement and science.
Switzerland is set to hold a vote on Schengen, the area comprising 26 European countries which have abolished all passport and all other kinds of border control. While an EU initiative, the Schengen area includes Norway, Iceland, Switzerland and Lichtenstein, none of which are member countries. The May 17 vote will observe residents vote on whether they want to regain control of their boundaries.
According to Swiss authorities, Schengen was responsible for 55,000 immigrants in the country last year.
Both of the country and the fear that the deal impinges of Swiss sovereignty.
In total there were 2.1 million immigrants living in Switzerland in 2019.
The country is not a member state with the bloc but it is associated through a series of treaties with Brussels.
But the government argue the vote – dubbed their’Brexit moment’ by press – could have consequences not only for the country’s safety but also for border traffic and freedom of travel.
According to the preamble of the EU decision ratifying the agreements:”The seven agreements are intimately linked to one another by the requirement that they are to come into force at the same time and they are to cease to apply at the exact same time, six months following the receipt of a non-renewal or denunciation notice concerning any of them.”
A bilateral agreement covers the Schengen area.
The referendum will appear at abolishing free movement of EU citizens.
The EU-Swiss relationship is currently regulated by 120 bilateral economic accords, which are put to erode over time if they are not updated.
If the results of the referendum is to leave the Schengen area that is common, Switzerland will take control of their borders back at the price of abrogating the free-movement pact.
EU citizens living in the country are from Portugal, and Italy, Germany, France.
TODAYS BREAKING NEWS
- EU negotiators demand the UK to sign to their “level playing field” agenda, for better deal on financial services.EU officials state the UK is seeking special treatment in relation to financial services. The EU claims that the UK wants to ensure banks, insurers and asset managers have predictable…
- The Scottish First Minister sided with the EU, bragging how she tried to derail Brexit.Its come to light that in February 2019, Nicola Sturgeon, The Scottish First Minister, was found cosying up with French President Emmanuel Macron as they met to open up a…
- Peter Mandelson and EU Trade chief Phil Hogan, throw their hats into the ring to be the next head of WTO.With Roberto Azevedo, the Head of the World Trade Organisation, unexpectedly stepping down from his role, The EU’s Trade Chief, Phil Hogan, is considering throwing his hat into the ring…
- Michel Barneir mocks UK negotiators: “we will not make any progress if the British continue to pick raisins”Michel Barnier has accused the UK Brexit Trade negotiator, David Frost, and his negotiation team, just before the start of the fourth round of negotiations, of wanting the “best of…
- SHOCKING VIDEO’S – Alastair Campbell mocks war veterans and his daughter tributes a video to the Cummings family.Over the last few day’s, shocking videos of Alastair Campbell and his daughter have emerged. Firstly, his daughter Grace, does some sort of strange tribute video mocking the Cummings family…