BREAKING BRITANNIA NEWS
EU sources claim the bloc is”closing in on the landing zone” in order for formal negotiations between Brussels and Britain to start in March.
Instead Mr Le Maire wants to entice British bankers to Paris after developing it into Europe’s major financial services hub by restricting access to the City of London to the bloc’s markets.
This week Mr Barnier signalled Brussels would keep control over British access to markets as part of any trade deal.
“We’ll keep control of these tools and we will keep the free hand to take our own decisions.”
Emmanuel Macron’s finance minister Bruno Le Maire disclosed France would block a”fish for fund” compromise as a way to secured continued access to British waters to their fishermen.
Paris has sought to take a tough line on Britain from the trade discussions.
The UK’s financial services industry creates £127billion a year and employs more than a million people.
EU ambassadors poured over the Frenchman’s opening gambit ahead of trade talks over opening with Britain. After a series of demands were made to further tighten their demands a decision to finalise the legal text of the bloc was delayed. Paris demanded substantial changes to the so-called”level-playing field”, under which Britain will be expected to commit to keeping EU environmental, social and state aid rules as the price for striking a free-trade agreement with Brussels.
The City is worried over how the EU could axe any”equivalence” access deal with just 30 days’ notice after it imposed new restrictions on Switzerland this past year.
As ambassadors meet more in the expectation of finalising the mandate, which they want to rubber-stamp at a ministerial meeting on February 25, talks will continue on Friday.
The eurocrat shot strategies set out by Chancellor Sajid Javid to secure services access to EU markets in a future trade deal down.
“It is only normal member countries take their time to be certain their interests are protected.”
EU Capitals want the text to reflect the level of”ambition” they’re willing in show in any future relationship pact.”
“Level-playing area is a considerable part. But, there are other tweaks necessary also,” one source said.
TODAYS BREAKING NEWS
- Downing Street planning to delaying the implementation of the Internal Market Bill till December.As the two sides meet in Brussels next week, red lines are readily drawn for a major showdown as time is running out to achieve a deal before the October…
- New migration agreement is needed as many in the EU regard the Dublin agreement as obsolete.Many in the EU now regard the Dublin Agreement as Obsolete according to the France 24 news clip below. This comes after 140,000 illegal migrants entered into the EU with…
- EU launch another public threat towards the UK, while pushing their failed level playing field card once again.Today, the EU launched another threat towards the UK just days before we enter into the 9th round of talks next week between EU negotiator Michel Barnier and British negotiator…
- French are furious as pressure on Boris to drop the Internal Market Bill fails. Boris defiantly ploughs on.Today Boris has upset the French after they thought they could prevent Boris Johnson from pressing ahead with his Internal Market Bill. Boris has taken no notice of the French,…
- Viktor Orban criticises EU’s new plan to stop illegal migration.EU member states have hit out at a new plan that been set out by the EU to try and curb the movement of illegal migration across the EU. Hungarian…