BREAKING BRITANNIA NEWS
UK nationals opposed to Brexit Think they could apply for individual Partner EU citizenship
The UK has left the European Union and the two sides have the remainder of 2020 to negotiate a potential trade deal but a substantial number of British men and women, living both in the united kingdom and abroad, sorrow losing their status.
Unlikely as it might look, though, there is still hope that they might have the ability to retain EU citizenship, and a group called Stay European has launched a campaign which they expect will result in UK nationals having the ability to enrol for “”associate EU citizenship”. So much over 115,000 individuals have signed up, and the promise is that”once the campaign is big enough to obtain wider attention, we’ll lobby the EU to make an official scheme which we’re able to sign up to”.
What the organizers consider is that millions of Britons are losing EU citizenship even though they didn’t decide to renounce it many of themafter all, were denied a vote in the 2016 referendum, while some voted against — and that they should be given the right to choose in and continue to identify as Europeans by acquiring individual citizenship.
How this would work is not clear but it has been suggested that such a strategy could be tied to a fee, as a single contribution to the EU budget, possibly equivalent to what we currently pay in per individual.
Stay European stress that what they are organizing isn’t simply a request: it’s all about then pushing to achieve that, building a continuing group of people that want to apply for citizenship.
There can even be significant support for the notion in Brussels: Guy Verhofstadt, MEP and Brexit coordinator for the European Parliament, has been indicating the idea in EU level since 2016 and as recently as December 2019 said it is time to”return into the notion of’European associated citizenship’ for UK citizens who wish to maintain their connection with Europe”.
The UK government is unlikely to support this type of strategy, but in principle it is possible for the EU to offer associate citizenship right, and Stay European believe the transition period may be chance.
THE AIM IS FOR THE OPTION TO BE MADE AVAILABLE TO ALL UK CITIZENS, WHEREVER THEY RESIDE.
Whether that is a realistic aim cannot be assessed; there’s absolutely not any precedent and no nation has left the EU before.
TODAYS BREAKING NEWS
- UK’s fishing waters will NOT be used as bargaining chip – Gove confirms: OUR waters on OUR terms!UK Government must not use access to UK fishing waters as a bargaining chip in upcoming trade negotiations with the EU, a Tory MP has urged. Steve Double MP asked … Read more
- Boris Johnson // NO WAY! To any EU level playing field demands.The EU keeps making the point that we in the UK can not have a Canada style trade deal even though they put that promise down in the Nonbinding Political … Read more
- French demand access into U.K. fishing waters so they can pile in with their factory ships and vacuum up our fish…Last night I was reading an article where a solid statement was made… here’s what was said… Statement above is from the Express news paper… After reading this statement I … Read more
- ‘Do as I say, not as I do’ as the EU pull away from their own Political Agreement whilst demanding U.K. adhere to it.Last night the BBC shone light on the fact that the EU had already pulled back on the political agreement that was attached as a separate Non legally binding agreement … Read more
- Boris offers the EU a hand of friendship before he pulls the plug in June…Today Boris has clearly stated the UK's intention to leave with out a deal if no deal is insight by June. This comes as the EU is in a mess … Read more