BREAKING BRITANNIA NEWS
This morning the Sunday Telegraph revealed that those remaining states in the EU are hardening their demands for”status quo” access to UK fishing grounds after Brexit.Fears are growing that fundamental differences on the form of the upcoming EU-UK relationship could now crash the discussions within months.
A fresh draft of the EU’s negotiation mandate was presented to European ambassadors over the weekend, this got an angry response saying Michel Barnier needs to hold the UK to the existing fishing quotas that’s in the common fisheries policy The new text says that Mr Barnier must”uphold” present mutual access to fishing grounds, after complaints from France, Belgium, Ireland and the Netherlands that the previous mandate ask only to”build upon” existing access was far too feeble.
EU sources said that the requirements on fishing may stiffen even further, as fishing says fear that Mr Barnier will earn a compromise with Britain that will mean their ships are able to catch less fish. EU sources say they have been concerned by Mr Barnier’s very careful use of speech, talking only of a deal that produces”secure” quota shares, rather than maintaining”existing” shares.
Nevertheless the looming battle over fish can be overshadowed by a more fundamental disagreement.The EU is insisting that the whole future relationship agreement — including trade, safety and other arrangements like fishing rights — ought to be”embedded in a general governance framework” that covers”all areas” of alliance. EU sources say this is to create a more”cross-cutting” dispute resolution mechanism that will enable the EU to strike Britain in which it hurts if an independent arbitration panel finds that the UK is in breach of the agreement.”
This is about fairness,” said a source familiar with EU believing,”we require a mechanism in which if the UK transgresses in an area where it’s powerful, and believes it can absorb the impact of a sanction, then the EU can take crucially, reciprocal action in a sector that is every bit as important to the UK — or vice versa.”
However the British side is known to have been determined that it needs only a set of different, basic agreements, with each having its own independent governance mechanism and no cross-cutting punishments.This has left officials on both sides fearing that talks can break down as soon as this April, the Telegraph understands.
TODAYS BREAKING NEWS
- UK’s fishing waters will NOT be used as bargaining chip – Gove confirms: OUR waters on OUR terms!UK Government must not use access to UK fishing waters as a bargaining chip in upcoming trade negotiations with the EU, a Tory MP has urged. Steve Double MP asked … Read more
- Boris Johnson // NO WAY! To any EU level playing field demands.The EU keeps making the point that we in the UK can not have a Canada style trade deal even though they put that promise down in the Nonbinding Political … Read more
- French demand access into U.K. fishing waters so they can pile in with their factory ships and vacuum up our fish…Last night I was reading an article where a solid statement was made… here’s what was said… Statement above is from the Express news paper… After reading this statement I … Read more
- ‘Do as I say, not as I do’ as the EU pull away from their own Political Agreement whilst demanding U.K. adhere to it.Last night the BBC shone light on the fact that the EU had already pulled back on the political agreement that was attached as a separate Non legally binding agreement … Read more
- Boris offers the EU a hand of friendship before he pulls the plug in June…Today Boris has clearly stated the UK's intention to leave with out a deal if no deal is insight by June. This comes as the EU is in a mess … Read more