BREAKING BRITANNIA NEWS
British Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab expects Australia will be in the initial wave of free trade deals his nation can secure from the post-Brexit era.
Australia was Mr Raab’s first port of call after the UK finally concluded its Brexit discussions at the end of January.
Mr Raab – who are also visiting Japan, Singapore and Malaysia – stated this is part of the”Global Britain” initiative.
“To adopt the huge opportunities in the rising economies of the future and many of these are observed at the Indo-Pacific, which explains the reason why this area is so fundamental to our aspirations as a nation as we leave the EU,” he told reporters in Canberra on Thursday.
He said while the UK and Australia like $17 billion in trade between the two countries, there is”possibility to do much more.”
“Australia, we hope, will be a part of the first wave of top priority deals that we’re pursuing,” he explained.
As stated by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, Australia’s main exports to the UK presently are precious metals, alcoholic beverages, lead and’pearls and gems’.
Imports from the united kingdom include cars, medications, alcoholic beverages and books.
Australian Foreign Minister Marise Payne was happy Mr Raab made Australia his first stop-off in his excursion.
“We are at opposite ends of earth, yet we are very ready and able to catch a new era of opportunity for enhance strategic and economic alliance,” Senator Payne told reporters at the joint press conference.
She stated this was the very first chance for Australia to secure a comprehensive and ambitious free trade agreement with the UK since 1973, that was when Britain initially joined the then European Common Market.
“We both believe in open, rules-based markets for investment and trade,” she said.
“I’m confident that Australia will negotiate an extremely positive FTA using the UK.”
She was equally convinced Australia can procure an FTA with the European Union, which Australia was working on for a certain time.
“We can do both,” Senator Payne said.
“We are with you, we’re saddened by the loss of life and also the effect on your habitat,” he explained.
He said that there will collaboration between the two countries’ space agencies, together with earth observations helping governments prepare to battle bushfires.
Mr Raab held a meeting with Prime Minister Scott Morrison later in the day, talking trade, the coronavirus response, the UN climate summit in Glasgow in November along with the repatriation of indigenous artefacts.
He’ll travel to Sydney on Friday to meet business leaders and see the NSW Rural Fire Service to demonstrate support for those involved with the recent bushfire response.
TODAYS BREAKING NEWS
- GO BO JO /// BORIS JOHNSON SMASHES THE EXTENSION BALL INTO THE LONG GRASS “The transition period ends on December 31, 2020, as enshrined in UK law”🇬🇧 /// BREAKING BRITANNIA NEWS /// 🇬🇧As soon as the remainers came out with text claiming Government Officials were considering extending the trade negotiation talks, Boris Johnson has come out and…
- DONT DO IT BORIS /// Media reporting Boris could soon announce an extension.🇬🇧 /// BREAKING BRITANNIA NEWS /// 🇬🇧 Today there have been mixed reports on what Boris is to do in regards to these trade negotiations. Over the last few week Boris…
- Von der Leyen /// A new “Marshall Plan” to stoke Europe’s recovery in the coronavirus catastrophe🇬🇧 /// BREAKING BRITANNIA NEWS /// 🇬🇧 European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen holds a news conference detailing EU efforts to limit the economic impact of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19)…
- Italian politicians warn Germany the EU is over!
- POLICE USE DRONES HIGHLIGHTING NONESSENTIAL DOG WALKING🇬🇧 /// BREAKING BRITANNIA NEWS /// 🇬🇧 Over the past weekend, There was a mixed reactions over Derbyshire police following dog walkers with drones. Below shows some videos and the original…