BREAKING BRITANNIA NEWS
Splits widen in the European Union just as the bloc prepares for its crucial trade talks with the UK over a Brexit deal, amid a suspected U-turn from Ireland. Ireland, which is going to the polls today to elect a new government, has sparked concerns among leaders in Brussels.
He maintained that Ireland”won’t receive a warm welcome” in Brussels if it is”looking for Britain to ease things for them”.
Ireland is one of Europe’s fastest growing markets and there’s concern that a so-called”bare bones Brexit deal” could significantly disrupt Irish sector.
Staunton said:”There is still some hope in Dublin that’s misplaced that Boris doesn’t mean his hardline approach.
“There’s a belief that when the reality of the discussions sinks in, he is going to undermine like he did over the backstop.”
“But the reason we have the backstop is that the rest of the UK can diverge in the EU.
“I don’t think people in Dublin have digested the probable consequences of Boris Johnson’s Brexit.
“He will either go for a bare bones trade agreement, or he will visit a no deal WTO arrangement, which would be even more disruptive.
“The financial impact will be severe. Britain is still an integral market, particularly for agriculture and so forth.
“It’s a future that Dublin has to handle. Once the Government gets in and talks start in Brussels, the Irish Government will not get a particularly warm welcome in Brussels when its looking for concessions for Britain to facilitate things in Ireland.
“The EU will remind Ireland that it showed a lot of solidarity during the first phase of negotiations, much more than they had expected.
“And now its time for Ireland to show its solidarity.”
Earlier this week, Boris Johnson has set out his vision for a trade deal with the EU, saying there is”no need” for the UK to follow Brussels’ rules.
The Prime Minister called for a Canada-style free trade deal, saying the UK would return to the Withdrawal Agreement if such a deal was not reached.
But the EU’s Michel Barnier said its”ambitious” trade bargain provide required a”level playing field”.
TODAYS BREAKING NEWS
- UK’s fishing waters will NOT be used as bargaining chip – Gove confirms: OUR waters on OUR terms!UK Government must not use access to UK fishing waters as a bargaining chip in upcoming trade negotiations with the EU, a Tory MP has urged. Steve Double MP asked … Read more
- Boris Johnson // NO WAY! To any EU level playing field demands.The EU keeps making the point that we in the UK can not have a Canada style trade deal even though they put that promise down in the Nonbinding Political … Read more
- French demand access into U.K. fishing waters so they can pile in with their factory ships and vacuum up our fish…Last night I was reading an article where a solid statement was made… here’s what was said… Statement above is from the Express news paper… After reading this statement I … Read more
- ‘Do as I say, not as I do’ as the EU pull away from their own Political Agreement whilst demanding U.K. adhere to it.Last night the BBC shone light on the fact that the EU had already pulled back on the political agreement that was attached as a separate Non legally binding agreement … Read more
- Boris offers the EU a hand of friendship before he pulls the plug in June…Today Boris has clearly stated the UK's intention to leave with out a deal if no deal is insight by June. This comes as the EU is in a mess … Read more