BREAKING BRITANNIA NEWS
Officials have hired additional ships to help the Royal Navy’s Fishery Protection Squadron (FPS) patrol the waters off the UK coast.
“Where there is a will, there is a way, but we are constrained by the decision, if it’s confirmed, of Boris Johnson to leave the single market and the customs union at the end of this season.”
“Fishing rights have always been an emotive and politically sensitive issue — and in the aftermath of Brexit, fishery protection will be more important than ever.”
Mr Johnson has told the EU the Government is ready to consider an agreement with Brussels but stressed:”It must reflect how the UK will be an independent coastal nation from the end of this season, controlling our own waters.
Its boats patrol 80,000 square miles of sea off Britain protecting the fishing rights of the country.
The Portsmouth-based FPS fleet is currently made up of a helicopter and four patrol vessels.
However, the EU has some leverage with many fishing communities rely heavily on selling for shellfish, particularly to EU markets.
It has allowed a further 22 boats which recruited an additional 35 enforcement officers with the power to issue search warrants and may be deployed at short notice.
Chief EU negotiator Michel Barnier said:”It is clear that the arrangement that we want to have in the interests of UK fishermen and in the interests of European fishermen – I predict that reciprocal access to our territorial waters and our markets – that agreement on fisheries will be inextricably linked to the trade agreement.
Control of the rich fishing waters of Britain was a totemic issue for many Brexit campaigners last Friday before the country left the bloc.
In accordance with politico.eu, the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) has lined up two additional vessel to reinforce the FPS patrols and also keep out unlicensed fishing boats.
TODAYS BREAKING NEWS
- UK’s fishing waters will NOT be used as bargaining chip – Gove confirms: OUR waters on OUR terms!UK Government must not use access to UK fishing waters as a bargaining chip in upcoming trade negotiations with the EU, a Tory MP has urged. Steve Double MP asked … Read more
- Boris Johnson // NO WAY! To any EU level playing field demands.The EU keeps making the point that we in the UK can not have a Canada style trade deal even though they put that promise down in the Nonbinding Political … Read more
- French demand access into U.K. fishing waters so they can pile in with their factory ships and vacuum up our fish…Last night I was reading an article where a solid statement was made… here’s what was said… Statement above is from the Express news paper… After reading this statement I … Read more
- ‘Do as I say, not as I do’ as the EU pull away from their own Political Agreement whilst demanding U.K. adhere to it.Last night the BBC shone light on the fact that the EU had already pulled back on the political agreement that was attached as a separate Non legally binding agreement … Read more
- Boris offers the EU a hand of friendship before he pulls the plug in June…Today Boris has clearly stated the UK's intention to leave with out a deal if no deal is insight by June. This comes as the EU is in a mess … Read more