BREAKING BRITANNIA NEWS
Officials have hired additional ships to help the Royal Navy’s Fishery Protection Squadron (FPS) patrol the waters off the UK coast.
“Where there is a will, there is a way, but we are constrained by the decision, if it’s confirmed, of Boris Johnson to leave the single market and the customs union at the end of this season.”
“Fishing rights have always been an emotive and politically sensitive issue — and in the aftermath of Brexit, fishery protection will be more important than ever.”
Mr Johnson has told the EU the Government is ready to consider an agreement with Brussels but stressed:”It must reflect how the UK will be an independent coastal nation from the end of this season, controlling our own waters.
Its boats patrol 80,000 square miles of sea off Britain protecting the fishing rights of the country.
The Portsmouth-based FPS fleet is currently made up of a helicopter and four patrol vessels.
However, the EU has some leverage with many fishing communities rely heavily on selling for shellfish, particularly to EU markets.
It has allowed a further 22 boats which recruited an additional 35 enforcement officers with the power to issue search warrants and may be deployed at short notice.
Chief EU negotiator Michel Barnier said:”It is clear that the arrangement that we want to have in the interests of UK fishermen and in the interests of European fishermen – I predict that reciprocal access to our territorial waters and our markets – that agreement on fisheries will be inextricably linked to the trade agreement.
Control of the rich fishing waters of Britain was a totemic issue for many Brexit campaigners last Friday before the country left the bloc.
In accordance with politico.eu, the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) has lined up two additional vessel to reinforce the FPS patrols and also keep out unlicensed fishing boats.
TODAYS BREAKING NEWS
- French are furious as pressure on Boris to drop the Internal Market Bill fails. Boris defiantly ploughs on.Today Boris has upset the French after they thought they could prevent Boris Johnson from pressing ahead with his Internal Market Bill. Boris has taken no notice of the French,…
- Viktor Orban criticises EU’s new plan to stop illegal migration.EU member states have hit out at a new plan that been set out by the EU to try and curb the movement of illegal migration across the EU. Hungarian…
- LIVE – POLICE ATTEND UNLAWFUL ASSEMBLY IN LOUISVILLE.Reports have come in of BLM protestors smashing up parts of Louisville US. Police are no one scene to try and defuse the situation. Below is the live footage. …
- US senate report finds mass conflict of interests as Joe Bidens son Hunter Biden enriches himself with Chinese money.A report has come out in the US that was released on Wednesday which states Joe Biden allowed his family to enrich themselves through foreign companies and Governments whilst he…
- Brexiteer Brendan Chilton hits back saying: “The withdrawal agreement was nonsense”With the UK still adhering EU rules due to being in a transition period, Usual Von Der Leven, European Union Commission President has issued Boris a deadline. Ursula has said…