And the Palace today revealed details of the couple’s future.
In a statement released by Buckingham Palace this evening, it was announced the royal couple will repay the £2.4million spent on Frogmore Cottage and it “will remain their UK family home”.
Prince Charles will continue to privately fund for the upkeep of their home.
Prince Harry and Meghan will “no longer receive public funds for Royal duties” as they are stepping back as senior royals.
Under the new arrangement, the couple “will not use their HRH titles as they are no longer working members of the Royal Family”.
The Sussexes will continue to maintain their private patronages and associations, but they “no longer formally represent The Queen”.
The palace did not comment on the details regarding Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s security arrangements, but said there “are well established independent processes to determine the need for publicly-funded security”.
This new arrangement is expected to be rolled out in spring of this year.
In a separate statement this evening, the Queen said she was pleased that “a constructive and supportive way forward” had been found and reiterated that Prince Harry, Meghan and baby Archie “will always be much loved members of my family”.
Her Majesty wished them a “happy and peaceful new life” after mentioning the Duchess separately.
The Queen said: “I want to thank them for all their dedicated work across this country, the Commonwealth and beyond, and am particularly proud of how Meghan has so quickly become one of the family.”
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex got their way in their bid to break away from the Royal Family at a crisis summit at Sandringham on Monday — but the Queen made it plain she is deeply upset they are quitting.
The couple are now going through a “period of transition” that will see them “create a new life as a young family” and spend time in both Canada and the UK.
Monday’s crunch summit, which lasted almost four hours, took place between the Queen, Prince Charles, and brothers William and Harry.
The Queen said after the crunch talks at Sandringham this week: “Although we would have preferred them to remain full-time working members of the Royal Family, we respect and understand their wish to live a more independent life.”
Meghan did not phone in for the talks, and remains in Canada.
The friend revealed Meghan found life as a Royal “soul crushing” and was desperate to remove son Archie from the “toxic environment”.
She said: “She told her inner circle of friends that her soul was being crushed and that the decision to leave was a matter of life or death – meaning the death of her spirit.
“She also felt like she couldn’t be the best mother to Archie if she wasn’t being her true, authentic self.
“Something she felt she couldn’t be in the royal family confines. She said she didn’t want Archie picking up on her stress and anxiety.
“She felt like it was a toxic environment for him because there was too much tension and pent-up frustrations.”
Meanwhile, it has been reported two permanent employees are being moved from the Sussex household to other duties.
The Duchess of Sussex is also currently embroiled in a legal battle with a national newspaper.
Meghan claims it was misuse of her private information and breach of copyright but documents filed by the paper argued she was behind a smear campaign against her estranged father, who currently lives in Mexico.
The defence papers filed at the High Court state the newspaper will seek disclosure from Meghan of her exchanges with her friend Jessica Mulroney.
Inside £21m waterfront dream home Meghan & Harry are eyeing up for Canada move
But following the news, Canada’s biggest newspaper has voiced it’s opposition to Harry and Meghan moving to Canada.
The Globe and Mail said any move by the couple would violate laws that keep the once-British-ruled country at arm’s length from the UK.
The paper said: “You are welcome to visit, but so long as you are senior royals, Canada cannot allow you to come to stay. It breaks an unspoken constitutional taboo.”
Statement in full
From Her Majesty The Queen:
Following many months of conversations and more recent discussions, I am pleased that together we have found a constructive and supportive way forward for my grandson and his family.
Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved members of my family.
I recognise the challenges they have experienced as a result of intense scrutiny over the last two years and support their wish for a more independent life.
I want to thank them for all their dedicated work across this country, the Commonwealth and beyond, and am particularly proud of how Meghan has so quickly become one of the family.
It is my whole family’s hope that today’s agreement allows them to start building a happy and peaceful new life.
From Buckingham Palace:
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are grateful to Her Majesty and the Royal Family for their ongoing support as they embark on the next chapter of their lives.
As agreed in this new arrangement, they understand that they are required to step back from Royal duties, including official military appointments.
They will no longer receive public funds for Royal duties.
With The Queen’s blessing, the Sussexes will continue to maintain their private patronages and associations. While they can no longer formally represent The Queen, the Sussexes have made clear that everything they do will continue to uphold the values of Her Majesty.
The Sussexes will not use their HRH titles as they are no longer working members of the Royal Family.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have shared their wish to repay Sovereign Grant expenditure for the refurbishment of Frogmore Cottage, which will remain their UK family home.
Buckingham Palace does not comment on the details of security arrangements.
There are well established independent processes to determine the need for publicly- funded security.
This new model will take effect in the Spring of 2020.
Meghan Markle ‘may never return to live in Britain’ as staff are axed from Frogmore Cottage after Megxit