As reported by The Daily Telegraph, speculation over a potential new deal has seen rises in the pound and British stock. Downing Street is believed to have privately shared a proposed compromise with negotiators in Brussels. A senior EU diplomat said: “There are elements that will allow the negotiating teams to continue their efforts in search of a positive outcome.
“We hope that we can find a deal by the time of the EU summit.”
The compromise could include Northern Ireland remaining part of a customs union but this union would be administered by London.
This move will result in a customs border in the Irish Sea but no customs check on the island of Ireland.
Northern Ireland will also be able to benefit from free trade deals negotiated by London.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson said: “Under no circumstances will we see anything that damages the ability of the whole of the United Kingdom to take full advantage of Brexit.”
Mr Johnson said he could see a “pathway to a deal, but that doesn’t mean it is a done deal”.
- Angela Merkel slams Macron "One isn't anti-European if you would like to save money."
- MACRON DEMANDS MORE: “We can not say we want more for Europe, but if it comes to paying, stating we can not."
- TENSIONS FRAYING: Germany told to cough up more money to fund France…
- EX Lib Dem MEP Caroline Voaden tweet backfires with ANGER!!! "Very Racist Tweet"
- Germany may need to cough up an extra £10 billion to cover EU budget deficit.